Well we moved… 5 months ago. When Clayton and I bought our
first house we knew that it was a starter home and that we were not going to be
there forever. When Exxon started building in the Spring area we started
talking about moving. I am not the best at change so we had to start early. We
picked out a nice neighborhood in Cypress and started the building process.
Once we started the building process we started thinning out
our old house to get it ready to show. We gathered a lot of stuff for a garage
sale and started packing up things we didn’t use on a daily basis and stored
them at my parents’ house. We put the house on the market and accepted an offer
in just 4 days. Once we accepted the offer everything started falling into
place. Clayton and I broke down the furniture and wrapped it up so it was ready
to be put into the POD. We packed up the house, my mom helped me out one day.
Valentine’s Day weekend we packed up the POD and moved in with my parent’s for
the week.
I picked out the area and did all the research about the
schools. We had several neighborhoods that we had selected to go and look at.
We looked at several neighborhoods but we really only saw one floor plan that
we liked a lot. Clayton picked it out and it not only fits our family now but
it also fits our family as Tess gets older so it works perfectly.
Clayton went by the new house about once a week and took a
picture from the same spot. It was nice to see the progress each week. We chose
a lot that is right next to a walkway so we only have a house on one side.
We basically added a bathroom and a game room and added some
room to each area. I like how open the main area is downstairs. We enjoyed
going to the design center and picking out the different aspects of our house.
It was nice to see how everything fit together as the house was being built.
Some things were a little too expensive at the design center to immediately put
in the house so we went with some basics.
We have finally gotten the house mostly finished. It took a
little while to get unpacked and we had to buy a couple of extra things for
this house. When you walk into the house you instantly see upstairs. I love our
entryway.
Right next to the front door is Tess’ Room which will turn
into the Guest room when she gets bigger. Her old room was decorated in green,
brown and whites but when we moved into the new house I went with a pink, grey
and white theme. The bed in her room was my grandfather’s bed that I used to
sleep on and now little sleeps on it. It’s kinda cool to have something with such
history in her room. We also found her this vinyl saying that says “RAWR means
I love you in dinosaur” and this is perfect for her room because Tess loves
dinosaurs and has loved them for such a long time. I also found her a “You are
My Sunshine” sign at Canton and this was also perfect because I sing this song
to her every night. I was afraid that Tess would not want to sleep in her new
room, but it was the exact opposite. She loved her new room and her new bed.
Her bathroom is also the guest bathroom so it’s usually
pretty clean. We added some pink touches to the white and black theme from our
guest bathroom in the previous house. Her bathroom will probably change as she
gets older.
Right Across from the garage entry is the laundry room. We
actually were able to put the washer and dryer in their proper places. In the
old house the washer and dryer were on opposite sides and the dryer door would
open into the washer so it made it more difficult to transfer the clothes. The
one thing I love about this laundry room is the storage under the stairs. I
have already filled up this extra storage space with my luggage and holiday
decorations. I think Clayton is going to love not having to go into the attic
to get all the holiday decorations this year.
The office/workout room/fire room is right next to the
laundry room. After we moved Clayton found out that he was not going to be able
to renew his FFL license at the new house so the office was repurposed. All of
his fire stuff has been moved to the office but it now has some work out gear in
it. We bought a smaller desk and I think this room works well. It’s set off
from the rest of the house so you can work out in peace and not really bother
anyone else.
The dining room is actually a dining room in this house.
Since the office is our fire room we decided to buy a china cabinet and display
our china and lladros. We have eaten in here a couple of times but we mostly
still eat in the kitchen. I do love that we can finally display all of our fine
china and pieces that we received at our wedding.
This next area is my favorite part of the house. The
Kitchen, Family room and desk area are all so open. The kitchen has always been
Clayton’s domain. He does most of the day to day cooking. I do love to bake
even though I would love to have more time to do it. One of his requests was a
double oven and I will say it was probably one of the best things we did. We
did lose a little cabinet space but I love the huge island we gained. The pros
outweigh the cons with our new kitchen.
Right across from the kitchen is this desk nook area. This
will come in handy when Tess needs to do homework and we are cooking dinner.
Right now we have an old computer set up and we prepare bills and use it if
needed. I also needed a little cabinet for medicine so again my handy husband
bought one and made me what I wanted. I love when I have a vision and my handy
husband creates it for me.
Our Family room is really open and I love it. The room is
perfect for a sectional and we originally picked out one sofa from Rooms to Go
but it had feathers in it and I kept getting sick. The guy never let us know
that the couch actually had feathers so we did a switch and got another couch.
I liked the original couch because of how big it was but I still like the new
furniture and still think it fits nicely in the room. I do love my ottoman.
There are four footrests inside and each top cushion turns into a trey. We
spend the majority of our time in this room playing, watching TV and laying
around.
The master is just off of the Family room. The furniture
arrangement took a little while for me to get used to but I love how much room
we have. This room is bigger than our old room and I love it. We changed up our
color scheme, I have been wanting to update our colors and I am glad I went
with these colors.
Our Bathroom is very different from the old house and our
closet is way bigger. We still don’t have enough clothes to fit. We have an
entire wall that doesn’t have any clothes hung on it. I am glad that we decided
to bring the granite into the bathroom and change up the tile a little bit. Tess
loves taking a bath in our Big Bathtub and she loves our big shower. I think
she has taken one bath in her bathroom, the rest have been in ours.
The upstairs will eventually be Tess’ domain. We turned the
gameroom into her playroom and she loves it. She will tell me some mornings
that she is going upstairs to play and won’t invite me because she wants to
play by herself. She feels like it is her area to do what she pleases and to be
honest it is. She knows that what she messes up she has to help clean up but
that is really her only rule. She watches movies up there, cooks in her
kitchen, takes care of her babies, and reads her books. I love how it turned
out.
Upstairs also has a guestroom and guest bathroom which will
eventually turn into Tess’ room when she gets older. Right now Nana and PawPaw
spend their weekends there when they come and visit their only grandbaby.
Well that is our new home… we are happy we moved. My commute
is quite a bit further but it’s not a bad drive and I am pretty used to it by
now. Once the Grand Parkway opens up it will be quicker. We have a lot of
children around Tess’ age that live right around us so she is outside a lot and
playing with kids her own age. It’s funny but how just moving can sometimes
make such a big difference.














No comments:
Post a Comment